Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Racism in this country is disgusting to see. When my grandparents left Belfast to come to this country they encountered it here. Although it wasn't nearly as bad as what they had left behind in Belfast, it still stung them deeply. The reason I bring this up is because this week is "Islamo-Fascist Awareness week". So dubbed by David Horowitz, this is a mockery of everything our country is about. This is a new type of Government sponsored racism. Take a look at

www.terrorismawareness.org/islamo-fascism-awareness-week/

to see this catastrophe with your own eyes. The right seems to have no idea why many muslims hate us...Can these idiots look past their own ridiculous and unfounded fears? Many muslims are in fact peaceful people who just wish to be left to their own way of life. Who are we to tell them how to live? Who are we to impose a form of government that WILL NOT WORK for such people. It is such a flawed and disaster bound approach that it makes me ashamed to be associated with America and by default with these ideas by foreigners.
Barbara Ehrenreich wrote a wonderful peice on this in The Nation. You can read it here.
http://www.commondreams.org/archive/2007/10/23/4755/
In conclusion I hope that it does not take another disaster on the level of 9/11 to open the eyes of the right that a diplomatic approach is THE ONLY solution to our self created problems in the Middle East.

----------------
Listening to: Conspirator - Liquid Handcuffs (1)-- Live @ the culture room 3-12-06
via FoxyTunes

3 comments:

Unknown said...

No kidding. I'm getting so fed up with this country and all the people who buy into the hate rhetoric. I keep getting racist neocon emails forwards from my MIL. The last one said that the Nazis should have killed the Muslims instead of the Jews. Classy, eh?

Mr. Scrotastic said...

The Japanese were put into "protective camps" during world war two. This kind of fear mongering and hatred is doing a disservice to our country. Would it be considered okay to hate everyone that worked for Enron because their executives were crooks?

Loops O'Fury said...

I know, I could see something like that happening again. After 9/11 and Indian woman I worked with said she and her husband had people giving them dirty looks and saying mean things. Dumb rednecks who didn't know the difference between a Hindu and a Muslim, and didn't care as long as they had an excuse to trash on brown people.

I think about posting the shitty emails I get, to make fun of them, but people would probably skim over the disclaimer and think it's me saying those things :\